Saturday 26 September 2009

Beware of Scottish Pounds!


Recently, I came across an incident whereby one of my colleagues exchanged a 50 Scottish pound note with a foreign couple and guess what; this 50 Scottish pound note cannot be exchanged anywhere in Brunei or Singapore (I even got a Singaporean friend to try to exchange it in Singapore but failed!). Out of curiosity, I googled "scottish pounds" and found out that only notes issued by the "Bank of England" are acceptable abroad and notes issued by three other Scottish banks, namely "Bank of Scotland", "Royal Bank of Scotland" and "Clydesdale Bank" cannot be exchanged abroad! However, the exchange rate is the same as that of the British pound. Guess I would have to plan a trip to Scotland to spend this 50 pounds! LOL...
UPDATE
Today, I got back B$100-00 for the above note; a friend of mine spend the 50 Scottish pounds in London recently after I've kept it for almost 3 years! Updated on 28 July 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment